Unfortunately, as you are reading this I am still sleeping or on the way back to Albury. The weather turned really bad on the top of the mountain and the course got changed, which forced the runners to make a decision as they entered the second crewpoint. At the 44km mark we had to head out to a checkpoint at Ropers Hut (27.5km) and return along the same route back to the crew point. The route out and back had six VERY steep climbs and decents. It took me and most of the front runners 12hrs to cover the 55km distance. ( I normally run 100km on hilly ground in under 11hrs!). As we came back up to Mt Bogong for the 3rd time, we were treated to a white out with howling wind and driving rain. Visibility was down to a metre at most times. After battling through this for nearly an hour and reaching the summit ( without getting lost,thankfully) I was told that when we came back up for the fourth time we could not continue with the planned route as it would be suicidal in these conditions(correct call), the options would be given to us when we got back down to the crewpoint. After battling to get off the mountain, I reached the crew point(100km) at 1045pm (just over 18hrs). The options that were open to us, were to head back out along the same route that we had just done twice or maybe wait till daylight and head back up to do the course in better conditions maybe.
The wait of 6hrs for daylight was quickly dimissed, as by this time I would of cooled down. The other option involved going back into the same conditions and then completing the same route all over again, to me 12hrs in these conditions was too long to go without crew support again, even though the guys on the mountain were great. They also could not confirm were we were to go after the hut. I was feeling great and very strong but the safety factor crept into the equation. There were only 13 runners left in the 100mile race at 7pm. I came into the checkpoint in sixth place, closely behind 3rd,4th and 5th(who came off the mountain together). All of these experienced runners made the same call too. The two leaders, who were within an hour of each other, were the only ones to make the decision to continue by the time we drove away. The best of luck to them, and anyone who come in later that goes on. There will always be another race.


17/03/2013 8:49am

Hey Mick, Sorry to hear you pulled out but better to take the safety option. The conditions sounded horrendous. All the best and recover well.

17/03/2013 11:03am

That's Victoria's weather for you. What a pity! Good on you for keeping going as long as you did. All the best.

Jan Thwaites
17/03/2013 11:06am

Well done for getting as far as you did, I know you will be disappointed but I'm so thankful that you are safe!

17/03/2013 12:14pm

Oh no, that's a shame :( better to be safe though. Hope those that kept going were safe too! As you said, there will be other races....

17/03/2013 2:46pm

No shame in making such a wise decision mate. You're a champ just for makeing is far as you did :)


Leave a Reply